It had been commanding the corner of Main and Wausau streets in downtown Birnamwood since 1885.
In the course of one day, Jack Kautza, of Kautza Excavating, had removed any semblance to the former Backes Food Mart building.
The project was helped along by benefactors Norm and Alice Matsche. According to Ed Resch, Norm’s cousin, the Matsches have donated about $1.2 million to the village of Birnamwood over the past few years to help make improvements.
Matsche and his wife have a long history of helping his hometown of Birnamwood.